Elizabeth Taylor: I Don't Back Down

Firooz Zahedi/1976

Interview with James Grissom
Hotel Carlyle
New York City
1991

Take away all of the money, all of the jewels, all of the fame. I've had those; I've enjoyed them; I understand them. I can live without them. I'll get by. Drain me of every last resource, and I'll still sleep well and get up and figure out how to keep going. But if you hurt or betray my friends and my family, I will not only be undone by that, but I'll feel justified in coming for you. I fully relate to the animals among us when it comes to blood and love--I'll kill to protect my people. I can't control anything--really--in this world. But I can be a great friend. I can be the best friend in the world. And I work at this. When they bury me, they will say many things about my talent or my morals or my weight or my taste, but I think I'm pretty safe in saying that they won't find me lacking as a friend, and that is what I'm proudest of. I show up. I stay the longest. I don't back down. I will be there.


©2013 James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts