Deborah Kerr: That Special Light

Deborah Kerr photographed, in 1944, by Cecil Beaton.



Interview with Deborah Kerr
Conducted by James Grissom


It becomes easier as one gets older to let go of anger. At least it has been that way for me. I used to work on films and the cinematographer would alter lenses and lights to indicate a change of attitude in the character or in the time, and when I watched the dailies, an emotional shift had occurred. Well, one's vision as one ages turns out to be like this: The light changes, and you can let some things go. I just decided one day--and it wasn't on a birthday or New Year's Day--to simply soften my attitudes toward everything and everybody--chiefly myself. I forgave myself a lot of sins, and I brought everyone along with me. I realized how lucky I had been and continue to be, and I have decided to spend my remaining days reflecting--in that special light I now have--on all that has been given to me. I am utterly sentimental about all people now, and I am liberated.


© 2014 James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts