Elaine Stritch (1925-2014) on the Catholic Church




Interview with Elaine Stritch
Conducted by James Grissom
New York City
2000


Listen, there's a lot that's fucked up about the Catholic Church, but there's a lot that's fucked up about me: There's a lot that's fucked about you, too, quite frankly. And I have always felt that the Church knew this about us, and we learned to bob and weave among the candles and the sacraments and the bullshit to find the good stuff; the stuff that allows us to live and function. And isn't that life? Isn't that--for fucking sake--the theatre? Film? Writing? Negotiating with anyone, anywhere? Bobbing and weaving and hoping? Bring a candle!

I'm okay with it. It's what I know. I know the streets, even in the dark--and they're always in the dark.

A little ceremony; a little glory; some remorse; some light; some scent; people clasping hands. And Jesus--let's not forget him--the celestial Ziegfeld looking over all of it.
Not a bad show, you know?

Yes, I'm Elaine Stritch, and I'm a Catholic.

Show me something better.


© 2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts