Julie Harris on Marilyn Monroe: The Safety of Love

Photograph of Marilyn Monroe by Jean Howard/1954



Interview with Julie Harris
Conducted by James Grissom
Hotel Wyndham
New York City
1991


I so wanted for her to be surrounded by kindness. I wanted there to be someone in her life to protect her, to really love her. Love, I think, protects us from so many things; keeps us in a safe, stable place. I only remember that we spoke once, and I was, of course, fascinated by this beautiful, ice-cream lady, but I also wanted to talk to her, and we spoke, as two women, two actresses, two human beings, and she beamed with happiness. I wanted none of the usual things from her: I wanted HER. I don't think many people wanted her, the unique gifts that came out of her when they were requested and respected and really wanted. 

I'm sad for Marilyn, but I'm also sad for all the people who don't know--didn't know--the joy of kindness; the safety of love.


© 2014  James Grissom


Comments

Popular Posts