Tennessee Williams: Open To All Things





Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
New Orleans
1982



There should be standards in what we like or do not like, but there can never be snobbism: It is cruel and unnecessary to judge those who delight in something that escapes us, if for no other reason than that the same thing may creep up and delight you at some point; may strike a chord within you that had been hidden or neglected or denied. One should be open to all things. I like to look at and listen to all sorts of things, because you never know when the lights will come up or the wind might blow through the dusty old attic that is my mind....Look at my jukebox selections: You can see what I am liking. I personally cannot, at this time in my life, understand a person who does not respond to--does not cry a bit to--the sounds of The Long and Winding Road and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Those are great pieces of music, and I want them in my life with all things classical and instrumental and vintage. I responded to those songs, and I need them, and I will not be swayed in my feeling. 


©  2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts